Sunday, May 22, 2005

A True Vacation

Midway through the spring semester my friends, who have organized a yahoo group in order to keep in contact, thought of making a trip to visit our friend from Middle School, Laura Beesley. Kim, Amber, Rachel, and I haven't really had much chance to hang out this past year since Amber transfered to Aberdeen and Kim to Brookings. We planned to take a week trip to visit Laura in South Carolina and hang at the beach for a couple days.

We left from Sioux Falls airport Tuesday morning at around five-forty-five in the morning. The trip out went rather smooth even for traveling in a small plane. The man that worked the counter of United Airlines in Sioux Falls allowed all of us to sit by eachother but the second flight out from Chicago he couldn't promise it. Though, our second flight had two open slots in the back so I moved forward one to sit by Amber.

When we arrived at the airport, we found Laura sitting in the sunshine rocking on an old fashioned rocker enjoying herself. Immediately from there, we proceeded to pick up some chicken from a nearby place and head directly for Myrtle Beach. Three hours later a group of five moderately sleepy and urinary filled girls stepped out of the Bravada and gazed at the ocean. For some, it was the first time, I was excited because it had been many years since I had smelled the salty air.

After signing in we took the luggage up to our tenth floor room and unpacked just enough before taking a quick and mildly damp walk on the beach. Most of us were so excited to see the ocean that we didn't care that our pants or shorts got a little wet. With the quick gaze at our watches we ran up to our room and prepared ourselves for the Mideaval Times. Rachel had not been to one before, so we were all excited for her.

Kim and I could hardly speak when we finished with the performance. Amber and Kim seem to believe that our green knight didn't like us very much, which I didn't care about. It was just fun to watch knights fight and the neat smoke effects. It was kinda neat when Rachel was talking about how cute the black and white knight. I saw who she was talking about and thought to myself...
my Kevin puts that man to shame...
The next day we all woke up around six-thirty and went down for our free continental breakfast. After finishing up our eggs and grits, we went up to our room and gathered our beach items we headed down to the soft sand. For the rest of the day, with the exception of the noon hour, we played in the oceans on boogie boards and sun tanned on the beach (I did.). By the evening, we were all sun and water logged, and wanted to just cool down and relax. For the rest of the evening we stayed in the room and played some brain game, it was really fun.
The next day, being Thursday and the day we had to leave. We were all burnt and had had too much sun the day before. So, after about four seconds of negotiations, we decided to leave almost immediately after packing. I had nearly finished packing when I decided to go and get my sand and shells for everyone at home. When I came back to the room, there was no one in the room, and only one of my bags was there. When I grabbed it and headed for the stairs, I came across Amber and we headed to the parking garage.
The ironic thing was, we were all nearly ready when we prepared to start up the Bravada but the key wouldn't turn. Apparently, we left the back end open too long and the battery had died. So, we preceeded to call AAA and find a truck to come jump start us. Since I was the only one with AAA and didn't have my card with me (I lost it long, long ago) we had to go through a really long ordeal.
That afternoon, after the car got charged and some food was consumed, we made it to Laura's house. A quaint and pretty house set back in the woods. Although there is large quantities of spiders and bugs, it's a very comfortable house. Since arriving here, we have seen the five of the six Star Wars movies, including the new one.
We are currently watching that one now. In a few moments, I will be leaving to help make dinner while Amber, Rachel, and Kim watch this last episode. Last night, I talked to my Kevin for the first time since we left. It was SO WONDERFUL!!! I had missed him so much, but wanted to make sure he didn't loose focus on work this past week.
I will be leaving now. Later.
Al

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home